So Kristen told everyone that we had a baby. This is Little Man, our second little Munchkin.
His arrival was a little surprising. Not in the sense that I didn’t know I was pregnant; I was DEFINITELY aware his arrival was on the horizon. What was surprising was his time of arrival – five weeks early. His sister wasn’t early and there were no causes for concern during my pregnancy…until he came. And even then, the doctors were hopeful the contractions would decrease and we would go home. In fact, they had us so convinced of this possibility that we stupidly didn’t bring anything helpful to the hospital – like extra clothes or toothbrushes. We did bring our phones; those were helpful.
So Little Man came 5 weeks early and 8 hours after we got to the hospital, on Labor Day weekend.
What were our plans for that weekend? Well, if you’ve been reading for awhile, our plans were to finish Munchkin’s Peter Pan room – the schedule was to have it complete by the first week of September and we were on track to finish then.
In fact, we were slated to have EVERYTHING done in the five weeks before his ETA and by everything I mean the following:
- Finish Peter Pan room
- Move Munchkin into new room
- Get nursery ready for the new Munchkin
- Install new door
- Wash all baby clothes
- Have deck replaced in back
- Pack bag for hospital
- Buy diapers
- Finish fixing attic (and hole in the ceiling)
- Get all baby things out of attic and ready for baby
- Make some meals to freeze
- Replace broken microwave
- Clean entire house, top to bottom
- Get the sister and the puppy ready for another person in the house
Little Man’s due date was October 2 – this coming Thursday – and we are actually closer to having this list done due to the help of friends and family. It’s not ALL done, but its close. This is the list in its current state:
- Finish Peter Pan room – only the mural and finishing touches are left. A friend helped with the seat cushion and enjoyed playing with a staple gun!
- Move Munchkin into new room She needed to move in, even if it wasn’t done…guests were coming! She thinks she’s big stuff now.
- Get nursery ready for the new Munchkin – its been serving as the guest room and he’s been sleeping in our room, so, no – it’s not done
- Install new door YAY!!
- Wash all baby clothes Thanks to Matt’s mom for this!
- Have deck replaced in back Yay! And its awesome (though not stained yet…it needs to stop raining first…)
- Pack bag for hospital – N/A – and it took about 5 trips between the hospital and home to have everything we needed for being in the hospital
- Buy diapers – done! At least for now; I’m sure we’ll need some more soon and we’re considering doing cloth diapers again, he’s just too little right now
- Finish fixing attic (and hole in the ceiling) – yup, there was a hole in the ceiling
- Get all baby things out of attic and ready for baby – it took awhile to find the car seat…
- Make some meals to freeze – nope, but friends have brought meals to us, which is wonderful.
- Replace broken microwave
- Clean entire house, top to bottom – putting this on the list is like shooting for the moon – ridiculous. So it gets cleaned bit by bit and I will resign myself to not having it clean all at once.
- Get the sister and the puppy ready for another person in the house – they didn’t need it – they are in love with him!
Now life is most interesting, and we are often put in places where we can praise the Lord and turn to Him, when the unexpected happens. And this was unexpected. In fact, this summer has been full of the unexpected, and we are praising the Lord through it all. And its not hard, looking at this guy – who is healthy and happy and very loved.