I hope the rest of your Halloween festivities were lots of fun. Now we’re officially into the “Oh no, Christmas is coming! How am I going to get all this other stuff done?” season.
But before we leave October behind entirely, I’ve got a couple things to show you from last week. First, Little Mister’s visit to the pumpkin patch.
We went with friends, and they had a great time in the hay maze and on the train ride. I didn’t actually buy a pumpkin, so we went vegetable-less for the holiday. But we weren’t costume-less!
You had seen my basic pattern schematics, and a small part of the costume that I got pre-made, but let me tell you about the main event (from my perspective).
From the schematics and a list of Little Mister’s measurements (approximate since he’s a one-year-old and doesn’t understand the concept of “be still!”), this is what I came up with.
Plus back pieces. You may see some troubles looming; I did not. Before I went to bed Friday, I had sewn together the front and the back, the skirt, the collar, and stitched up the sleeves although they weren’t attached. Looked like Saturday would be a couple hours’ work and it would be all done.
Oh, by the way, I don’t have a sewing machine, but I do have access to a sewing machine from the crafting group at church. Part of Friday night was spent learning how to use this sewing machine, which was notably different from the Singer we grew up with, but in the end wasn’t too complicated.
I dreamt about that costume all night long – what I still needed to do, how I probably needed to fix certain things, what might go wrong – and woke up exhausted.
On Saturday, we actually tried it on LM.
Well, he couldn’t get the sleeves all the way on; the arm holes in the jacket were too tight; it didn’t go all the way around his middle. The biggest problem, though, was that it was way too short across the shoulders, so the neck was far too wide and it was going to have a hard time staying on.
Like I said, approximate measurements from a one-year-old.
So the neck piece was redone.
The sleeves were redone (and not tapered this time). The front pieces were redone – with lots of extra fabric at the front so that a lapel could be cut out instead of being added on as I had been planning to do (see above picture). It turned out that with wider front panels, the skirt also needed to be widened, so I added panels for that. And when it was again tried on?
The collar was still too small.
So at that point, I just added another three-inch surround to the piece I had already attached. Some red edging and decorative trim, a little ironing, a little strategic folding and sewing of fabric, and after 8 hours of work, this is what we ended up with.
Add a piece of celery, question marks on his shirt collar, and the rest of the clothing, and here’s the finished product.
He still had a hard time keeping it on, and there were a couple of times he was reaching for something on the ground when he face-planted because he had limited range of motion in the shoulders. Clearly there were some fundamental measuring flaws that weren’t compensated for in the end. But I was pleased; Charles was pleased; LM kept the coat on for awhile and looked adorable. Success!
(Here’s the original model.)